[Users] That won't work.

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 22:13:25 CEST 2020

Hey there,

Ralf Mardorf via Users wrote:

>if you should rely much on thread view, it's probably better to use a
>single folder in the first place.

I don't use thread view. I usually sort my mail by date without the
threads being separated. Once in a great while, I sort by subject if
I'm looking for something specific and can't remember exactly where it
is. But I always put it back to date sorting.

>You could add a filter rule to specially flag/tag new mails. If you
>check for new mails, than temporarily sorting by number comes in
>useful.

That might work. I'm hoping that the messages being marked as unread
will be good enough, but my reading and replying don't always happen
at the same time. Sometimes I'll read a message, but not reply to it
for a day or more. To use the read/unread status, I'd either have to
turn off automatic marking (which I currently use) or leave it on and
trust myself to remember to mark them as unread after reading them. I
suspect I'd be unreliable in the remembering department, so Claws
Mail babysitting me by tagging them might be a really good idea.

>I don't follow a rule for this. It depends and sometimes it even
>depends on an unsubstantiated decision. I'm not using special
>measures to handle new incoming mails. For general sorting I'm used
>to use tags and to sort on demand. However, excessively using tags
>doesn't gain much. IMO it's better to use not enough, than to use
>too many tags.

I may find out first-hand.

>I didn't found a perfect solution for sorting data. Establishing
>order in a cutlery tray is easy to do and even if something is in
>the wrong box, it isn't a disaster. Sorting much data is an
>insoluble problem, since our usage of the data might change.

True. I'm currently experiencing that in rethinking my organization
method for all these mails.

>Set theory, intersection, links ... however smart we try to solve
>this issue, we are condemned to fail. IOW if you should find the
>perfect solution how to sort new incoming mails, you'll much likely
>suffers from the short-blanket syndrome. Sorting data is like
>beheading Hydra. If we solve one sorting issue, we get two new
>sorting issues.

I'll be backing all of this up before I begin so that I can
experiment and see which method I like.

Thank you for your response. It's helping me to picture how the
different organization methods would play out.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.