[Users] Custom browser and access protection on Windows

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sat May 30 14:55:34 CEST 2020

On Sat, 30 May 2020 15:58:38 +0430
Iman gp <imanggp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dustin. First, let me say that I'm so grateful and I thank you for
> your time and great details provided to my questions.

DM: You're welcome, Iman.

> About first part, actually there isn't such a field under external
> programs (sorry I wasn't precise on description), and  'Use system
> defaults...' checkbox is also greyed out and disabled (please see
> attachment).

DM: I see; that's interesting, and is definitely different than what I
see on my system.

DM: Are you using the latest version of CM? If not, that would be
something to try.

DM: Here's a couple other things you could try, if possible:
* 1a. Open an email that has an HTML message part. On the right side of
  the message view pane you should see some icons. Select the one for
  the HTML message part (if you hover over it with your mouse, it
  should say 'Type: text/html').
* 1b. Try going to 'View' - 'Message Part' - click on 'Open' (you can
  also access this via the context menu with a right-click). What
  happens? If it opens in Firefox, great! If it opens in another
  browser, then you could check to see what your system has set for the
  default browser. If it's not Firefox, you could try changing it to
  that, and then try the above test again.
* 2a. Repeat the above steps, but instead of clicking 'Open', click
  'Open with...' (you can also access this via the context menu with a
  right-click). Hopefully this will bring up a dialog window where you
  can enter a command similar to the one I mentioned for the 'External
  Programs' config window. (You may need to check out some Firefox docs
  to see what the first part of the command should be.)
* 2b. Once you've entered the command and click 'OK', what happens? If
  it opens in Firefox, great! Then you can repeat the process to open
  the 'Open with...' dialog and if you're lucky there will be a box
  there that you can check so that it will always open that type of
  message part with Firefox. That would mean you can just click on
  'Open' or use the associated hot key (default is 'L') to open an HTML
  message part in Firefox.
* 3. If none of the above is working, you could try running CM from the
  command-line with the option '--debug' and then go through the above
  steps again, monitoring the command-line window to see if there is
  any output showing up there that will help you figure out what's
  wrong.

DM: You could also search the CM bug tracker
(https://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/index.cgi) to see
if there have been any bugs or feature requests submitted for this by
others; this might help answer your question and/or figure out how to
do it if it's possible.

DM: Again, all of this is based on my CM usage on a Linux system. It's
possible that this feature is not present in the Windows version, but I
would be a bit surprised if it wasn't. Not sure if the above will help,
but probably worth a try. Perhaps another Windows user will chime in to
provide some clarity on this. Cheers, ---Dustin