[Users] Very slow startup

wwp subscript at free.fr
Sat May 9 19:53:09 CEST 2020

Hello renyhp,

On Sat, 9 May 2020 19:27:23 +0200 renyhp <renyhp at disroot.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just installed claws-mail on my new PC. I copied my old .claws-mail
> over to the new home folder, and now Claws does remember all the settings I
> previosly had. However, it is very very slow in starting. I tried running it
> with --debug, and I don't seem to find any error, but it does hang for a long
> time here, between textview.c and hooks.c.
>
> > messageview.c:406:Creating message view...
> > headerview.c:71:Creating header view...
> > noticeview.c:73:Creating notice view...
> > mimeview.c:299:Creating MIME view...
> > noticeview.c:73:Creating notice view...
> > textview.c:291:Creating text view...
> > hooks.c:70:registered new hook for 'msginfo_update' as id 2
> > logwindow.c:87:Creating log window...
> > hooks.c:70:registered new hook for 'log_append_text' as id 1
> > logwindow.c:87:Creating log window...
> > hooks.c:70:registered new hook for 'debug_append_text' as id 1
> > mainwindow.c:2119:done.
> > mainwindow.c:3672:Setting widgets...
>
> This is the point where the most time is spent. According to a later line of
> the log, main startup takes 25s176ms. Any idea of why this happens and how to
> solve?

Is you PC connected to any network?

What distro is it? Version of Claws Mail?

First, I would try disabling all plugins:
- make sure Claws Mail is not running,
- create a backup of your config directory (~/.claws-mail),
- edit ~/claws-mail/clawsrc, make sure the [Plugins_GTK2] section is empty, save,
- start Claws Mail again.

Regards,

--
wwp