[Users] email message storage location (OT)

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Tue Mar 31 04:42:32 CEST 2020

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 04:08:00 +0200
mi <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:

> Just as a sidenote.
>
> > 'File - Add mailbox' is not entirely intuitive since I didn't want
> > to *add* any, just point at the ones already there.
>
> It's a fine example how developers use to think differently than
> (non-devo) users.
>
> For a developer, adding a mailbox means getting it into the
> 'stack' (or stock) of 'known mailboxes'.  It's rather unimpoartant if
> it was newly created or scanned from an existing one.
>
> A user however might read 'add mailbox' as 'add NEW mailbox' which
> would imply creating one from scratch. Because the existing mailbox
> would not need to be 'added' since it's already there, right ? In my
> computer !

That's exactly how I read it,  yes.    As 'create an additional
mailbox' rather than 'add a mailbox to the list'.

> The small detail that the word 'new' does not really occur, and that
> 'my computer' is not the same sphere, as claws-mail, would be ignored.
>
> This shows how human brains work ... taking customs for granted truth.
>
> And i think writing a 100% safe-and-successful manual or explanation.
> would be really an outstanding and very hard to achieve artwork !

As the writer of a custom application for a friend who uses it to keep
track of parts and orders for his small business, I'm only too aware
that a menu option whose meaning may be quite clear to the writer, can
appear to mean something quite different to someone else.   (And I only
have a couple of users to worry about!)

By the way, contra the kerfuffle over the split pane drag handle,
that's never caused me any worry.   Different users, different
tastes.   :)

cr