[Users] Standard view split pane drag handle

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 18:44:54 CEST 2020

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:51:23 -0500, Brian via Users wrote:
>If you don't like the design, you can certainly go to what ever other
>email client you would like, because that is the freedom that Linux
>provides. You might also be able to take the FOSS code and actually
>design your own interface.  But to complain about a product that is
>following design standards is really not necessary.

Actually only one subscriber, new to Claws, the OP, asked if there is a
way to change the layout. This is a valid question and no complain at
all.

The reason that this subscriber was surprise about the layout is, that
it indeed is a quite unusual layout.

The OP is also free to send a request and to stay with Claws mail.
There's no need for this "use something else" or "edit the source code
yourself" attitude.

Obviously just the OP and nobody else cares about the handle at all.
However, could you please provide a link to those dubiose "design
standards"? I would be surprised, if such a standard does exist. Without
doubts the handle is always at the correct position, but the layout is
quite unusual. For example, with "Display header pane above message
view" checked and unchecked Claws does chose the correct position for
the handle, but the overall layout is unfavourable, because with another
layout there would be no need to move the handle. For Electronic Flight
Instrument Systems there are indeed standards. I'm not aware about such
standards for mailers and other desktop applications, however, apart
from Sylpheed, I'm not aware of another app following this layout.