[Users] Attach one message to another

Derek B. Noonburg derekn at foolabs.com
Thu Jul 16 21:56:27 CEST 2020

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 19:13:09 -0000, Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 13:13:26 -0500
> Ralph <suselist at cableone.net> wrote:
>
> > Most basic of questions probably but I have never known how to do
> > this within claws...
> >
> > I am replying to one email.  I want to attach a different email
> > thread from a different sender to the email I am replying to.  How
> > do I do this within claws?
>
> If you didn't mean 'thread', but meant 'attach'....
>
> With the new Compose window open, locate the message you want to
> attach in the Message List, and select it. Then drag'n'drop the top
> MIME icon (from the column to the right of the message view), the one
> which is of Type message/rfc822 (seen in the tooltip). Drop it into
> the Compose window. When you see the dialogue asking if you want to
> insert or attach it, click the Attach button.
>
> You MUST ensure that this attachment has the 'MIME type' of
> message/rfc822, so check it does (From the Attachments tab), and edit
> if it doesn't.

I've been following this thread, because I've also been wondering if it
was possible to do this.

Those instructions almost worked for me, except that the MIME icon
wasn't draggable.  However, I was able to drag the message summary line
into the compose window, and then everything else worked exactly as
described (with the "attach or insert" dialog, etc.).

Not sure if this is a claws-mail version difference (I just built
3.17.6) or a gtk difference (gtk libraries on my system are kind of
old), or just a mistake in the description.  Anyway, hope this helps
someone.

- Derek