[Users] Replacement for 'dillo' plugin

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Jan 23 13:38:35 CET 2020

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 06:07:03 -0600, 15044 at rharkins.com stated:
>On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 06:01:42 -0500
>Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p5 amd64
>> claws-mail version 3.17.4
>>
>> I think I asked this question before; however, I was wondering if
>> there has been any movement on it.
>>
>> Unfortunately, on a FreeBSD system, the "fancy" plugin is not
>> available.
>>
>> Port:   mail/claws-mail-fancy
>> Moved:
>> Date:   2019-03-24
>> Reason: Has expired: webkit-gtk* last release in 2016 and security
>> issues
>
>Good morning Jerry,
>Like you I use FreeBSD and Claws-mail and ran into the inability to
>render HTML emails.  Using Claws-mail as distributed by FreeBSD, the
>functionality of fancy, Dillo, and Litehtml seams to be missing.  I
>updated to FreeBSD 12.1 with no improvement.
>
>Where I ended up is compiling Claws-mail from the git repositary.  Both
>the Dillo and LiteHTML are now available. Many emails are not rendered
>by either. The "open with" feature and an external web browser works.
>
>I asked a question and received 2 replies, both with useful
>information:
>https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2019-December/025241.html
>
>I do not understand the situation with FreeBSD.  Given the evolution
>rate of HTML and web browsers, handing off to an external browser seams
>reasonable.
>
>R.Harkins

I am attempting to contact the FreeBSD port maintasiner,
joneum at FreeBSD.org, regarding this situation. It does appear, at least
to me anyway, that claws-mail is not keeping up with the times. What
does amaze me is that CM, at least for me, is far more functional on a
Windows machine than it is on a FreeBSD machine. I am not sure why the
older 'fancy' plugin cannot be updated. I don't do programming to any
extent. All my work is concerned with logistics and government
regulations so I cannot be of any help in updating it.

Please let me know if you hear or find out anything of value regarding
this situation.

--
Jerry