[Users] External browser for HTML

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 18:22:43 CET 2019

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 10:58:17 -0800
"Derek B. Noonburg" <derekn at foolabs.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 10:41:02 -0600
> Robert Harkins <15044 at rharkins.com> wrote:
>
> > Have I missed how to use an external browser to view an email?
> > Thinking of an action to save a temp file and open in browser.
>
> I also prefer to use an external browser, rather than an HTML plugin.
> The "open attachment" feature works fine for me with HTML.  I
> right-click on the HTML icon to the right of the message, and select
> "Open".
>
> Depending on your web browser setup, you may need to set Configuration
> -> Preferences -> Message View -> External Programs -> Web browser.

Robert, assuming you've got the above browser preference set correctly,
here are a few more tips you may find helpful if you don't already know
them:

* I'm pretty sure there is a place in Preferences where you can tell
  claws to automatically select the HTML part (if any) of an email when
  you open it. That can be useful if you have a fair number of HTML
  emails that you want / need to open in a browser. (With LiteHTML I
  find that most HTML emails that aren't just simple text I have to open
  externally to read them at all or to make sure I'm not missing
  something.)

* If the HTML icon on the right is not selected, you can use the 'a'
  and 'z' keys to scroll down and up (respectively) through the icons /
  parts.

* When the HTML icon is selected, you can use the 'l' (L) key to open
  it in your browser. I'm pretty sure this would work without having
  any HTML plugin loaded; I think it's what I did for all HTML email
  viewing after I stopped using Fancy but before using LiteHTML.
  (Actually, if I wouldn't already have LiteHTML loaded, I'm not sure I
  would bother loading it, considering how often I have to use an
  external browser anyway.)

Dustin