[Users] HTML plugin for Claws Mail on Mint 19.3 Tricia

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 09:17:24 CET 2020

Happy New Year!

A few minutes Google, Startpage and/or Co research doesn't harm.

Claws is not provided by the 19.3 Mint repositories, see
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tricia .

The "Compatible repository" mentioned by
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint_version_history#Release_history
is "Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver)":

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=bionic&searchon=names&keywords=claws

However, also take a look at
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/claws-mail-plugins -->
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/claws-mail-extra-plugins -->
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/claws-mail-dillo-viewer
(https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=disco&searchon=names&keywords=claws).

You need to upgrade Ubuntu to get a HTML plugin from official Ubuntu
repositories, something you unlikely can do without breaking your Mint
install.

Actually building a Claws package for Ubuntu is easy to do, but I don't
know, if the required dependencies for a HTML plugin are available by
the repositories, you probably could spend some time to find out
yourself. I'm building packages for the latest release of Claws for
Ubuntu 16.04 all the times, but 1. I don't care for HTML plugins at all
and 2. the repository even still provides
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 .

Btw. Claws is provided by the "Universe" repository, so it might not be
well maintained, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories#Universe .

Ubuntu upstream is Debian, https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/claws-mail
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/claws-mail).

The chain Debian -> Ubuntu community -> Mint is probably not the best
way to provide reliable packages. Maybe you like to test a snap package
https://snapcraft.io/claws-mail-moon127 , this is where Ubuntu does go.
AFAIK the sandbox alike approach of snap packages tends to cause
issues, at least for more extensive mailers, such as Evolution.

Regards,
Ralf