[Users] Unable to use Claws Mail

Κώστας Θεοφάνους kostas_theofanous at yahoo.gr
Sun Dec 20 14:39:39 CET 2020

Ralph wrote:
> Hello!
>
> If you are using pop3 (don't know with imap as I don't use) you can just
> follow the instructions they sent you way back when they made the
> switch in October, i.e. "Option 3: You can generate a one-time, unique
> password that will allow you to sign in to your account using your
> non-Yahoo email application. Once created, this password will continue
> to allow your app to securely sync your Yahoo email unless you sign out
> (or are signed out) from your app. You can find instructions on how to
> do this here."
>
> The "here" link in the above was encoded so I won't paste it here but
> you can get the same info at:
>
> https://en-global.help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/SLN27791.html
>
> You will need to add the new/generated password to your yahoo account
> setting in claws.  Note that though the yahoo instructions say " unless
> you sign out (or are signed out) from your app." this has not ever
> happened to me, the original generated password still works two months
> later after many log-outs / reboots of the desktop os, and this is true
> even though I switched temporarily from claws linux to claws windows.
>
> HTH.  Ralph
>

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 21:10:17 +0200
> Κώστας Θεοφάνους via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello to all,
>> Claws Mail was included in my OS (Linux) and I really enjoyed using
>> it to access my Yahoo account, but ever since Yahoo made it
>> compulsory to use OAUTH2 authentication, I can't use it any more.
>> Although I've searched a lot, I haven't found a solution to this
>> problem. Is there something that can help?
>> Thank you.
Dear Ralph,
Thanks for your detailed response.
I've been using imap up to now because I'm concerned that pop3 will take
up much disk space.
But, to be honest, imap on SeaMonkey mail (that's the app I use)
consumes a lot of disk space too.
Now I'm thinking of switching to pop3 and this option will be even more
appealing to me if I have the chance to choose which folders to download
locally (e.g. leave out the archived messages folder which is very big).
Do you think that this possible?

Thanks again,

Kostas