[Users] Re-instate old CLAWS Mail installation

Jim Pachowski jimmy.patch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:20:40 CEST 2020

> Can I install the latest mail version on a new laptop and 'copy' my
> lost addresses and possibly messages?

Yes

> Filenames would help.

You need two (possibly 3) folders:
1. Claws-Mail
2. Mail

Both will be in the same location unless you changed things during installation.

On Windows, the path is:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming

So go to your old laptop system and navigate to that path. Replace
%username% with the actual user name on your previous Windows
installation. Usually the "AppData" folder is hidden so if you do not
see it, just type it in the windows explorer address bar and press
enter. Or change the settings to show hidden/system folders.

When you are there, in the list of all the folders, find these two folders.

In your new installation, just do Win+R and in the dialog box type
"%appdata%" and press enter.

Copy Claws-Mail & Mail folder over.

If you do not find "Mail" folder, it means you might have customised
the path or name of your mailbox. Besides, there are some people who
add mailboxes from other locations. It is usually a good practice to
double-check. To do that:
1. Go to Claws-Mail folder
2. Open folderlist.xml in notepad (or some other text editor)
3. See line #3 in this file. It is of this format:

<folder type="mh" path="D:/SomewhereDifferent/Mail" sort="2"
collapsed="0" name="Mailbox">

The "path" attribute tells us that there is a folder"
D:/SomewhereDifferent/Mail" that we need to copy over. If the path
becomes different when you copy it over, update folderlist.xml
accordingly.

If you have any additional mailboxes, they will be listed further
below at the same indentation level in the file so you can
double-check by simply scrolling down.

At the beginning of this email, I wrote that you will need "two
(possibly 3) folders" but only named 2. What about the third folder?

You need the "myspell" folder, located at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Claws Mail\share\enchant\myspell

This folder contains your spell-check dictionaries. While a new
installation might give you the normal dictionaries, you definitely
need the *.usr files from this folder since those contain the words
you have added to the custom/user dictionary over time. If you have
not ever, then you do not need this folder. But I thought I should
mention it.

Best of luck.

Hope this helps.