[Users] Some claws mail questions.

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 07:28:09 CEST 2020

Just a thought from an amateur:

Thunderbird creates files that represent your mail folders and subfolders.
They may be a pair of files.
Newer versions of TBird may not do it this way. Those files should be Unix
mbox format files which have a special unique header for each message in
addition to the rest of the headers.
ZThey are not readable without that header at the top of each message. A
file could contain hundreds or thousands of messages.

I haven't looked but Claws may store message folders the same way. Maybe
you could copy your TBird folder files into the correct location in Claws
and it would see them as a normal folder.
Then you could manage them as needed, append, delete, filter, etc. If Claws
doesn't do this I would humbly suggest that this feature be added. If you
use Linux with Pine or mail as your mail reader and create folders these
folders will be standard Unix mbox format files. You should be able to add
them to TBird in the right location or hopefully Cl;aws. This would make it
infinitely easier migrating your TBird folders and messages into Claws
without
missing or corrupting anything.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 6:18 PM Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded to my previous questions.  (And to those
> who may respond to the current lot!!!)
>
> This mailing list appears to be a good reason, in and of itself, for
> switching from Thunderbird to claws-mail.  Getting useful information
> out of Thunderbird was like pulling hens' teeth! :-)
>
> I have now got claws mail running, to the extent that I can send and
> receive messages (thanks to Paul for help with the send bit).
>
> I now have a number of questions that I would appreciate some help with.
>
> (1) Searching through messages.  Is it possible to search through
> messages (for e.g. a specified "From") in *all* folders, rather than
> one folder at a time?
>
> Since I have a huge number of folders it is tedious to search one
> folder at a time.  (And I sometimes have no idea where I've put
> something!  Also slip-ups in drag-and-drop seem to have the unfortunate
> effect of moving a message to some random location of which I have no
> idea.)
>
> I suspect that the answer to this question is "No" and I'll just have
> to learn to live with it.  (I got used to being able to "search
> everything" in Thunderbird.)
>
> (2) Subscribe:  Scratch this one!  I've figured it out myself!!!
>
> (3) Plugins: I want to install the "Dillo" plugin.  I (successfully?)
> installed the Dillo web browser.  After a bit of thrashing and Googling
> around, I managed to download
>
>     claws-mail-dillo-viewer_3.17.4-1_amd64.deb
>
> and then did
>
>     sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>
> However I got the error:
>
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
> claws-mail-dillo-viewer:amd64: claws-mail-dillo-viewer:amd64 depends on
> claws-mail (= 3.17.4-1); however: Version of claws-mail on system is
> 3.16.0-1.
>
> When I installed claws-mail via "sudo apt install", version 3.16.0-1
> was what I got.  As far as I can discern, dillo-viewer plugins are
> available only for claws-mail versions 3.17.4-1, 3.17.5-2 and 3.17.6-1.
>
> Can I/should I upgrade to a 3.17* version?  How do I do this, given
> that "sudo apt install gives me 3.16.0-1?
>
> That's it for now.  I will probably have yet more question later.
> (Sorry 'bout that! :-) )
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Avant Geared
walnut and oak serving and kitchen cutting boards
<https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/avant-geared-products/woodworking>
https://www.instagram.com/avantgeared/?hl=en