[Users] Fwd: Running Claws on an external hard drive.

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 05:23:54 CEST 2020

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:29:56 -0700
Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 9:25 AM wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:01:24 -0600 "M. J. (Mel) Miners"
> > <martlet at telus.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Gents; I am a new user of Claws - or would like to be.  I did
> > > exactly what Lawrence did - I installed it on my external hard
> > > drive.
> > >
> > > From your thread, I need to change a config file. So, in what
> > > folder do I find this config file and where do I insert that
> > > string?
> >
> > There is no config file to change, you have to change the way you
> > call Claws Mail itself. For instance, by editing the shortcut so
> > that you add --alternate-config-dir "e:\path\to\your\config\dir" to
> > the command-line. If you're not comfortable with such operation,
> > prefer installing the program and the run-time config directory to
> > the standard default C: drive.
> >

> wwp:
> I thought that some config file had to be edited.

DM: Lawrence, what you may be thinking of is the folder list (XML) file
located in the configuration directory. Not sure if it's the same on
Windows, but in Linux if you change the location of your message
store(s) from the default, then you have to edit this folder list to
tell Claws where to look for them (there's usually one line per mailbox
that needs to have its path string edited). Besides what wwp wrote
about telling Claws where to find the config directory when running it,
(in Linux at least) you also have to tell Claws during the installation
process that that's where you want the config directory to be put.
(When Claws is run, if it knows where to find the config directory,
then it will also be able to find the folder list file, which tells it
where to find the message store(s).) There's also the (perhaps confusing
for some) difference between where you install the program itself (i.e.
the executable) vs. where you 'install' the config directory and message
store(s). In this thread I haven't always been sure that everyone is
talking about the same thing in relation to these. Hope these
additional thoughts help. ---Dustin