[Users] Fwd: Running Claws on an external hard drive.

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 19:29:56 CEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 9:25 AM wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello Mel,
>

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:01:24 -0600 "M. J. (Mel) Miners" <martlet at telus.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Gents; I am a new user of Claws - or would like to be.  I did exactly
> what
> > Lawrence did - I installed it on my external hard drive.
> >
> > From your thread, I need to change a config file. So, in what folder do I
> > find this config file and where do I insert that string?
>
> There is no config file to change, you have to change the way you call
> Claws Mail itself. For instance, by editing the shortcut so that
> you add --alternate-config-dir "e:\path\to\your\config\dir" to the
> command-line. If you're not comfortable with such operation, prefer
> installing the program and the run-time config directory to the
> standard default C: drive.

wwp:
I thought that some config file had to be edited. I looked at clawsrc and
could not find any reference. Maybe I left some notes about that on a
different hard drive; I will look.
Now that I have looked at the contents of e:\Claws Mail and e:\Claws Mail
Config I see how it works; \Claws Mail Config must normally exist in \Claws
Mail as when you install
and run it on C:\. This is simple, direct and works flawlessly.

Thanks very much.

Lawrence

> Regards,
>
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 9:10 AM wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Lawrence,
> > >

> > > On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:20:03 -0700 Lawrence London <
> lfljvenaura at gmail.com>

> > > lfljvenaura at gmail.com>

> experimenting
> it
> that
> engineer
> > > what
> the
> drive
> > > on

> Config
> > >
> > > Well, there's nothing really tricky if you want to install the program
> > > on E:. Just pick the right drive or path during the install process.
> > >
> > > The data directory will by default be relative to you user data dir
> > > (which is commonly on C:), unless you use, as you already do,
> > > --alternate-config-dir.
> > >

> > > Regards,
>
> --
> wwp
> https://useplaintext.email/

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Avant Geared
walnut and oak serving and kitchen cutting boards
<https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/avant-geared-products/woodworking>
https://www.instagram.com/avantgeared/?hl=en