[Users] Fwd: Running Claws on an external hard drive.

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 07:39:27 CEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 8:24 PM Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:29:56 -0700
> Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 9:25 AM wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> > > There is no config file to change, you have to change the way you
> > > call Claws Mail itself. For instance, by editing the shortcut so
> > > that you add --alternate-config-dir "e:\path\to\your\config\dir" to
> > > the command-line. If you're not comfortable with such operation,
> > > prefer installing the program and the run-time config directory to
> > > the standard default C: drive.
> > >

> > wwp:
> > I thought that some config file had to be edited.
> >
> DM: Lawrence, what you may be thinking of is the folder list (XML) file
> located in the configuration directory. Not sure if it's the same on
> Windows, but in Linux if you change the location of your message
> store(s) from the default, then you have to edit this folder list to
> tell Claws where to look for them (there's usually one line per mailbox
> that needs to have its path string edited).

Thanks a million, Dustin. I will have to take a look and see if I can find
this file and whether I need to edit it. As it is now
Claws runs fine and I have all my folders where they need to be, i.e. a
mirror of my Gmail account.

> Besides what wwp wrote
> about telling Claws where to find the config directory when running it,
> (in Linux at least) you also have to tell Claws during the installation
> process that that's where you want the config directory to be put.

Yes, indeed. I experimented with a new install on a new machine and
discovered the point in the configuration where it
asks me where to put the config directory so I had it located in e:\Claws
Mail Config and it works perfectly.

> (When Claws is run, if it knows where to find the config directory,
> then it will also be able to find the folder list file, which tells it
> where to find the message store(s).) There's also the (perhaps confusing
> for some) difference between where you install the program itself (i.e.
> the executable) vs. where you 'install' the config directory and message
> store(s). In this thread I haven't always been sure that everyone is
> talking about the same thing in relation to these. Hope these
> additional thoughts help. ---Dustin

For me that is:

In drive e:\
[Claws Mail]

[Claws Mail Config]

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Avant Geared
walnut and oak serving and kitchen cutting boards
<https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/avant-geared-products/woodworking>
https://www.instagram.com/avantgeared/?hl=en