[Users] Latest Windows version crashing with html mail

Andrej Kacian ticho at claws-mail.org
Thu Sep 12 11:58:41 CET 2019

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:16:24 -0400
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:16:18 +0100, Brian Morrison stated:
> >Can I forward this to one of the devs (Andrej?) as this happens every
> >time, I'm using 3.17.4 and the fancy viewer.
>
> I have been experiencing crashes with HTML messages also. Claws-Mail
> will usually report a percentage of the file downloaded and then it
> crashes. This does not happen on all HTML messages.
>
> I also noticed a difference from the latest version to the previous
> version also. Some images in the previous version that would not
> display, are now visible. However, the reverse is also true. Very
> strange.
>
> I am running the 32-bit version on a 64-bit Win10-Pro, version 1903,
> build 18362.10019 machine.

I've long given up on fixing this, mainly because it never crashes for
me, no matter how many "this always crashes for me" sample html emails
people send me. This makes it almost impossible to figure out what
exactly happens and where in the code the crash happens. And even if we
found the spot, Webkit code is so overly complex that actually fixing
it might be out of my reach.

It could very well be a bug that is fixed only in Webkit2,
which we currently can't use.

However, can you guys try the test build I put here?
https://claws-mail.org/win32/test/newcairo/3.17.4/

It uses newer Cairo and Pango libraries, which sometimes cause visible
slowdowns on redrawing, but someone reported that a past test build
with newer Cairo stopped the crashes for them.

Regards,
--
Andrej Kacian