[Users] Latest Windows version crashing with html mail

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Mon Sep 16 21:29:48 CET 2019

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 13:58:41 +0200
Andrej Kacian <ticho at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:16:24 -0400
> Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:16:18 +0100, Brian Morrison stated:
> > >Can I forward this to one of the devs (Andrej?) as this happens
> > >every time, I'm using 3.17.4 and the fancy viewer.
> >
> > I have been experiencing crashes with HTML messages also. Claws-Mail
> > will usually report a percentage of the file downloaded and then it
> > crashes. This does not happen on all HTML messages.
> >
> > I also noticed a difference from the latest version to the previous
> > version also. Some images in the previous version that would not
> > display, are now visible. However, the reverse is also true. Very
> > strange.
> >
> > I am running the 32-bit version on a 64-bit Win10-Pro, version 1903,
> > build 18362.10019 machine.
> >

> I've long given up on fixing this, mainly because it never crashes for
> me, no matter how many "this always crashes for me" sample html emails
> people send me. This makes it almost impossible to figure out what
> exactly happens and where in the code the crash happens. And even if
> we found the spot, Webkit code is so overly complex that actually
> fixing it might be out of my reach.
>
> It could very well be a bug that is fixed only in Webkit2,
> which we currently can't use.
>
> However, can you guys try the test build I put here?
> https://claws-mail.org/win32/test/newcairo/3.17.4/
>
> It uses newer Cairo and Pango libraries, which sometimes cause visible
> slowdowns on redrawing, but someone reported that a past test build
> with newer Cairo stopped the crashes for them.

I tried this Andrej, but it still crashes, the behaviour is slightly
different though, the email reaches about 75% downloaded and then
crashes with some of the rendering already done, previously the crash
occurred without any rendering done and seemed to happen after the
download bar had disappeared.

I don't know what else I can do but you are welcome to ask, currently I
don't think I have any debug dlls loaded.

--

Brian