[Users] Forwarded mails not threaded

Paul Steyn paulsteyn1 at afrihost.co.za
Fri Oct 11 10:04:14 CET 2019

Hi All,

I just forwarded an email, and noticed two things about it:

The first is that the forwarded mail appeared in my inbox, as expected
(I have all folders set to "Save copy of outgoing messages to this
folder instead of Sent", as I find it easier to keep things organised
this way), as the message I was forwarding was in the inbox, but it was
not threaded under the original message, rather was completely on its
own. I changed folder to check some details after writing the forwarded
email, but before sending it, so this may have confused the issue, but
I would then have expected the email to end up in the wrong folder, not
in the right folder but not threaded. I'm sure in the past forwarded
messages have been threaded. Is this expected behaviour? Are there some
rules about when forwarded messages are threaded that I'm not aware of?

Secondly, I notice that the images from the original mail, which where
inline, are attachments in the forwarded email. I'm not really that
familiar with the details of email standards, but is there a reason the
images where not inline in the forwarded mail, like they were in the
original? It hardly seems to matter, but the original mail doesn't have
a paperclip icon indicating attachments, but the forwarded one does,
which is instinctively confusing as I know I didn't add any
attachments, and seeing the paperclip icon indicates that I did
attach something, so it would be ever so slightly better if the
forwarded mail had inlined the images instead (assuming that's
possible).

Paul Steyn