[Users] New Windows Users: S/MIME

Luke Robison lukerobison at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 00:11:44 CET 2019

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 1:23 PM Andrej Kacian <ticho at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 10:53:25 -0600
> Luke Robison wrote:
>
> > t looks like even very short messages take about 500ms to verify the
> > signature (slower than decryption actually) but this seems to be a gpgsm
> > issue, perhaps even a gpg4win-specific issue.
>
> The delay could be due to gpgsm connecting (or trying to, at least) to
> a server to check for certificate revocation lists, in order to
> properly verify whether the signing certificate is still valid. Gpgsm
> has a configuration option "disable-crl-checks" to disable that,
> although I have no idea where to put it on Windows. Gpg4win
> documentation and their mailing list might help there.

Apparently in  Windows10, C:\users\<user>\Appdata\Roaming\gnupg\gpgsm.conf
This doesn't seem to be the issue, apparently just listing keys can take a
while.  I may pursue it on their mailing list.

The very bad news is the delay frequently cause claws to crash on me,
specifically when trying to click through a bunch of emails to find the one
I'm looking for.  I think its an issue of trying to update the signature
icon after I've moved on to a new message.  I can reliably produce it by
rapidly clicking as few as 3 signed emails in a row.  The logs say only:

smime.c:223:Checking S/MIME signature
mimeview.c:1212:waiting a while
summaryview.c:3817:TIMING : 0s023ms
sgpgme.c:465:data 0B29FC8C (2596 5915)
mimeview.c:1220:mimeview.c:1220:killing checker thread
killing checker thread
<EOF>

I thought one time I got a GTK container doesn't exist error, but I can't
seem to reproduce that.  Being on windows I'm not sure I can get much
additional information out of the crash.  Is there a windows debug build?