[Users] Clawsker doesn't start (Can't locate Gtk3.pm in @INC...)

H.Merijn Brand h.m.brand at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 12 17:28:10 CET 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 17:50:39 +0200, Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:19:45 +0100 H.Merijn Brand
> wrote:
>
> > So, with what you have, you could try
> >
> > # cpanm XAOC/Gtk3-0.032.tar.gz
>
> Tried. The result is on the link below.
>
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 15:13:06 +0000 Dave Howorth wrote:
>
> > No, wrong. The first one IS needed, as I said. The
> > second one is the system-provided version of the
> > perl package, which as you have now discovered is
> > too old to build the module that you want.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "system-provided". I
> installed both manually (from the official repos),
> i.e. nothing was provided out of the box or by the
> default installation.
>
> > So remove the system-installed version of
> > Glib::Object::Introspection and then try cpanm Gtk3
> > again.
>
> OK. I followed your and H.Merijn Brand's advice
> but unfortunately the result is the same:

Oké, but our advices, though both valid and sane, should not be mixed

My proposition was to use an older version of Gtk3 to match the system
installed introspection stuff. As you first tried Dave's solution, you
uninstalled the system stuff, and thereby removed the situation my
advice was based on.

Dave's advice was to install from scratch giving you the newest
versions.

> https://files.invalid.tld/2018-11-12-cpanm-3.txt

As you now uninstalled the system stuff, and you have run several cpanm
commands using local::lib, your ~/perl5/lib/perl5/ might now contain
stuff that mismatches your expectations.

On my openSUSE-42.3 I use a non-system perl-5.24.1, and typing

 $ cpan Gtk3

worked like a charm.

Then I took clawsker-1.0.2, changed all Gtk2:: to Gtk3::, split the now
unsupported new_with_markup into new + set_markup, and stopped trying
after

utf8 "\xB4" does not map to Unicode at ./clawsker line 2493, <RCF> line 699.
utf8 "\xA9" does not map to Unicode at ./clawsker line 2493, <RCF> line 699.
utf8 "\xAE" does not map to Unicode at ./clawsker line 2493, <RCF> line 699.
Can't locate object method "sensitive" via package "Gtk3::SpinButton" at ./clawsker line 571.

Commenting out the two sensitive lines for the spinbutton caused

utf8 "\xB4" does not map to Unicode at ./clawsker line 2493, <RCF> line 699.
utf8 "\xA9" does not map to Unicode at ./clawsker line 2493, <RCF> line 699.
utf8 "\xAE" does not map to Unicode at ./clawsker line 2493, <RCF> line 699.
`Behaviour' is not of type Gtk3::Widget at /pro/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi-ld/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 67.

no more time to dig deeper. I'll stick to the Gtk2 version

> George

using perl5.00307 .. 5.29   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE