[Users] Clawsker doesn't start (Can't locate Gtk3.pm in @INC...)

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Mon Nov 12 16:13:06 CET 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:50:54 +0200
Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 00:25:47 +0000 Dave Howorth wrote:
>
> > It is claiming that you do not have
> > gobject-introspection. Is that correct? You can
> > check in YaST or use some zypper command or other
> > and then install it if necessary with the same tool.
> >
> > FWIW, I do have gobject-introspection installed for
> > whatever reason and Gtk3.pm installs cleanly.
>
> OK. I have installed both (the first one seemed not
> needed but anyway):

No, wrong. The first one IS needed, as I said. The second one is the
system-provided version of the perl package, which as you have now
discovered is too old to build the module that you want.

> gobject-introspection-1.54.1-lp150.2.10.x86_64
> perl-Glib-Object-Introspection-0.042-lp150.1.3.x86_64
>
> Now cpanm complains that version is 0.042:
>
> -> FAIL Installing the dependencies failed: Installed version (0.042)
> of Glib::Object::Introspection is not in range '0.043'

So remove the system-installed version of Glib::Object::Introspection
and then try cpanm Gtk3 again.

[Note: I don't understand why cpanm didn't install the new version as
well, since there won't be any conflict, but I can't be bothered
investigating the reason.]

> Here is the full build.log:
>
> https://susepaste.org/3c640cfd
>
> > But whilst I understand your paranoia, I can only
> > repeat that you would not damage anything if you
> > were to repeat the installation as root, whether it
> > was successful or not. If you care to understand,
> > you can examine the paths used by modules installed
> > by the system as compared with those installed from
> > CPAN, even as root.
>
> Paranoia is a mental disorder with fear related to
> delusions. It is not a delusion that modifying the
> distro and making it depend on externals makes
> everything difficult to maintain long term.

Sorry, my use of 'paranoia' was idiomatic and evidently does not
translate well.

Actually, taking the decision to install all perl modules directly from
CPAN and to ignore the old and sometimes buggy versions provided by the
distro has made my life simpler and easier for many years. Mixing the
two methods does make life more complicated and difficult, I agree.