[Users] Clawsker doesn't start (Can't locate Gtk3.pm in @INC...)

H.Merijn Brand h.m.brand at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 12 14:19:45 CET 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:50:54 +0200, Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 00:25:47 +0000 Dave Howorth wrote:
>
> > It is claiming that you do not have
> > gobject-introspection. Is that correct? You can
> > check in YaST or use some zypper command or other
> > and then install it if necessary with the same tool.
> >
> > FWIW, I do have gobject-introspection installed for
> > whatever reason and Gtk3.pm installs cleanly.
>
> OK. I have installed both (the first one seemed not
> needed but anyway):
>
> gobject-introspection-1.54.1-lp150.2.10.x86_64
> perl-Glib-Object-Introspection-0.042-lp150.1.3.x86_64
>
> Now cpanm complains that version is 0.042:
>
> -> FAIL Installing the dependencies failed: Installed version (0.042) of Glib::Object::Introspection is not in range '0.043'
>
> Here is the full build.log:
>
> https://susepaste.org/3c640cfd

The current version of Gtk3 (0.034) requires
Glib::Object::Introspection version 0.043 (see
https://metacpan.org/source/XAOC/Gtk3-0.034/META.json)
--8<---
   "prereqs" : {
      "configure" : {
         "requires" : {
            "ExtUtils::MakeMaker" : "0"
            }
         },
      "runtime" : {
         "requires" : {
            "Cairo::GObject" : "1.000",
            "Carp" : "0",
            "Exporter" : "0",
            "Glib::Object::Introspection" : "0.043",
            "Test::Simple" : "0.96"
            }
         }
      },
-->8---

The last version of Gtk3 that still runs on older version of
introspection is release 0.032:
https://metacpan.org/source/XAOC/Gtk3-0.032/META.json
--8<---
         "requires" : {
            "Cairo::GObject" : "1.000",
            "Carp" : "0",
            "Exporter" : "0",
            "Glib::Object::Introspection" : "0.016",
            "Test::Simple" : "0.96"
            }
-->8---

So, with what you have, you could try

# cpanm XAOC/Gtk3-0.032.tar.gz

> > But whilst I understand your paranoia, I can only
> > repeat that you would not damage anything if you
> > were to repeat the installation as root, whether it
> > was successful or not. If you care to understand,
> > you can examine the paths used by modules installed
> > by the system as compared with those installed from
> > CPAN, even as root.
>
> Paranoia is a mental disorder with fear related to
> delusions. It is not a delusion that modifying the
> distro and making it depend on externals makes
> everything difficult to maintain long term. So such
> modifications and complications create disorder
> themselves. So I hope you would understand that what I
> am trying to do is to preserve order, rather than
> "fix" it as root, keep track of what that did etc. :)
>
> --
> George

using perl5.00307 .. 5.29   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE