[Users] Status of claws-contacts and new address book?

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Thu Mar 15 16:13:56 CET 2018

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 15:58:58 +0100
Páder Rezső wrote:

> Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:31:53 +0000 -n
> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> írta:
>
> >Would one of the devs care to comment on where this is currently? I
> >have never built the claws-contact dbus service and enabled it, so is
> >there any benefit to that?
> >
> >If I add --enable-new-addrbook to the CM build process, is this still
> >valid and still useful?
> >
> >Sorry to appear less than clued up, I lost track of this some time
> >ago and never got round to asking about it before.
>
> I used it before reinstalling my system, with empty home directory.
>
> If you have a compiled claws-contacts, you can use the
> --enable-new-addrbook option, and the new addressbook will work.

Does that mean that if I don't have the claws-contacts service that this
option should not be enabled? Or would it just do nothing?

> If you have any existing address book in CM
> (under ~/.claws-mail/addrbook), claws-contacts uses it.

OK

> But if not exists any address book, claws-contacts doesn't makes any
> new address book, and if you try to made a new one, it
> creates under ~ by default, instead of ~/.contacts/<plugin>.

So if I create ~/.contacts a new address book will be placed there?

What's the advantage of the new address book, is it shared with other
applications?

Is there any intention to roll this function into CM's normal release
version?

--

Brian Morrison