[Users] Creating threads manually

H.Merijn Brand h.m.brand at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 18 12:24:36 CEST 2018

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 12:51:07 +0300, Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 09:04:16 +0200 H.Merijn Brand
> wrote:
>
> > You've got an older perl than I do.
>
> I use whatever openSUSE Leap 42.3 has on official repo:
>
> [~]:  rpm -q perl
> perl-5.18.2-12.1.x86_64

Thanks for the feedback. This means that $pst is defined, but
$f->{msg_id} is not.

What happens here is that somehow the process *did* find Message-Id in
the parent message-file, but did *not* find it in the child-message-file

Does the child file (even after the changes) contain private
information, or are you willing to share it with me?

> > If that is undefined, continuing is useless and
> > something went wrong in an earlier stage.
>
> Strangely, even when that happened re-parenting worked.
> There is only one case so far for which I found that
> it didn't.

The Message-Id in the child file is not required for the process to
work. Even without it, it will add the required tags to the child
message-file.

> > > Any idea how to fix that?
> >
> > Not unless I can get the full files.
>
> Unfortunately I didn't keep track exactly with which
> files it happened.

Bummer.

> > Can it be that you are re-parenting messages the do
> > not (yet) have a Message-Id?
>
> Testing with your new version, it seems to be that
> "only case" mentioned above. Strangely: that
> particular message was sent through Claws Mail, yet
> for some reason the script says it has no Message-Id.
> Any idea how to fix the file so that I can re-parent it
> properly?

Not without seeing the file (or just the head part)

> > I have attached a safer version that skips
> > files/messages with no Message-Id and refuses to
> > work if the parent file has no Message-Id
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> BTW I see that after the action completes, the last
> message in the thread remains selected. That is: after
> having selected A-D and run the action, only D
> remains selected:

>       +- B
>       +- C
>       +- D [selected]

That is part of how CM works. Maybe one of the core devs can answer
this question.

> I wonder: is it possible instead to have all messages
> except the first one to remain selected? Like this:

>       +- B [selected]
>       +- C [selected]
>       +- D [selected]
>
> Then it will be very easy and fast to create the
> structure:

>       +- B
>          +- C
>             +- D
>
> by simply re-running the action without the need to
> select many messages each and every time. With a
> shortcut key it will really fly.
>
> Another thing: once I made a mistake and threaded
> messages which should not be threaded. I had to go and
> manually delete In-Reply-To and references to undo
> that. Perhaps (if you have the time and desire) you can
> make a script which also unparents messages which will
> make the combination of the two an excellent
> instrument.

Attached

Note that this script only removes all In-Reply-To: and References:
tags from the header. It does not stop CM from showing it in a thread
based on the Subject: (and Date:)

> --
> George

using perl5.00307 .. 5.27   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE