[Users] Compiling claws-mail on openSUSE Leap 42.3

Removed GDPR removed-gdpr at example.com
Sat Jul 14 10:39:38 CEST 2018

Hi,

As advised by Ralf Mardorf in bug 4048 I am opening a
thread to ask about compiling claws-mail on openSUSE
Leap 42.3.

@Ralf Mardorf - you suggested that I look for a
solution through:

https://software.opensuse.org/package/checkinstall

However this page does not show any official packages
for Leap, only some community provided ones with
patches which I honestly don't trust 100%, so I would
rather not install them. I tried compiling checkinstall
from source but it throws quite a few errors (perhaps
that's why patches are needed). As a whole this
checkinstall doesn't seem actively maintained and
obviously not quite fit to openSUSE, so I would prefer
not to depend on such tool, especially long term.

So my questions are:

1. Can you suggest another way to proceed (without
using checkinstall)?

2. Before proceeding with installation: How would I
perform a clean uninstall of claws-mail? (in case I
want to switch back to the rpm by openSUSE)

@Paul, in the bug report you wrote:

> There is, of course, in the standard place: the
> INSTALL file included with the code.

That one seems quite different from the instructions
given by Ralf, e.g. it does not include running
autogen.sh or checkinstall. With it question 2
still remains. Which procedure is correct?

Can you guys help with all that please?

--
George