[Users] Compiling claws-mail on openSUSE Leap 42.3

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jul 14 11:08:12 CEST 2018

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 11:39:38 +0300, Removed GDPR wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As advised by Ralf Mardorf in bug 4048 I am opening a
>thread to ask about compiling claws-mail on openSUSE
>Leap 42.3.
>
>@Ralf Mardorf - you suggested that I look for a
>solution through:
>
>https://software.opensuse.org/package/checkinstall
>
>However this page does not show any official packages
>for Leap, only some community provided ones with
>patches which I honestly don't trust 100%, so I would
>rather not install them. I tried compiling checkinstall
>from source but it throws quite a few errors (perhaps
>that's why patches are needed). As a whole this
>checkinstall doesn't seem actively maintained and
>obviously not quite fit to openSUSE, so I would prefer
>not to depend on such tool, especially long term.
>
>So my questions are:
>
>1. Can you suggest another way to proceed (without
>using checkinstall)?

Either don't build a package and install Claws without attention of
your package management by running

  sudo make install

or learn how to build a package for your distro by using rpmbuild, see
https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse-best-practices/singlehtml/sbp-rpm-packaging/sbp-rpm-packaging.html
or https://www.suse.com/c/building-simple-rpms-arbitary-files/ or
https://www.google.de/search?source=hp&ei=z7pJW-abNYHawAKTmrp4&q=how+to+build+a+package+for+suse&oq=how+to+build+a+package+for+suse&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1.1524.7218.0.7453.31.31.0.0.0.0.88.2041.31.31.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.31.2034...0j0i10k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.KnDA74HcWLM

>2. Before proceeding with installation: How would I
>perform a clean uninstall of claws-mail? (in case I
>want to switch back to the rpm by openSUSE)

The best way to achieve this is always to build a package. The easiest
way to build a package is to use checkinstall.

Maybe running

  sudo make uninstall

is available, but often it isn't.

>@Paul, in the bug report you wrote:
>
>> There is, of course, in the standard place: the
>> INSTALL file included with the code.
>
>That one seems quite different from the instructions
>given by Ralf, e.g. it does not include running
>autogen.sh or checkinstall. With it question 2
>still remains. Which procedure is correct?
>
>Can you guys help with all that please?

Running autogen.sh is needed when building from git, checkinstall isn't
needed at all, you could replace it by using make install.