[Users] Surprising actions behavior

Shai Berger shai at platonix.com
Wed Jan 17 18:31:35 CET 2018

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 10:14:30 +0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 10:12:01 +0200
> Shai Berger <shai at platonix.com> wrote:
>
> > 1) Logging of actions is a feature I would like to add. I got no
> > response on that. Is there a reason not to add action reports to the
> > filtering log?
>
> The first reason that comes to mind is that running Actions is not
> filtering, so for the same reason it doesn't get added to the network
> log, it doesn't get added to the filtering log either.

I think I have been less than completely clear here: I'm referring
specifically to actions performed as part of filtering. For example,
the filtering of my last received message ends like so (actual
filtering rules irrelevant and redacted):

	[19:02:21] processing rule 'X' [ CONDS mark_as_read move
	"#mh/Mail/trash" ]
	[19:02:21] checking if message matches [ CONDS ]
	> message matches
	[19:02:21] applying action [ mark_as_read ]
	[19:02:21] applying action [ move "#mh/Mail/trash" ]

Now, an action like "mark_as_read" can't reasonably fail -- if it does,
the user needs to be alerted and the operation aborted. But other
actions can fail in interesting ways; say, a Move onto a remote IMAP
server could fail, or -- the one that interested me -- 'execute'. I
think an `execute` action should report if it ended with a non-zero
return code, and (at least in that case) spill its stdout and stderr
into the filtering log.

> > 2) A very minor, aesthetic issue (redundant "stop" operation
> > available in filter-actions used in user-actions)
>
> It's not redundant, it has its uses, albeit limited.

It's not redundant in filter actions  -- but in user-actions
(/Configuration/Actions)?

> > 4) The last, and still annoying issue: When a filter-action in a
> > user-action moves a message out of the folder, selection goes to the
> > first unread message in the folder rather than to the next or
> > next_on_delete configurations.
>
> First point is that you're already in the folder, you are not
> entering the folder. It's also not a Delete (/Message/Delete) or
> Move (/Message/Move), which is what the next_on_delete applies to.
> That doesn't make it less annoying, I agree. :)

I think that "Move in an action is not /Message/Move" is pretty much
what I'm complaining about.

Thanks,
	Shai.