[Users] error in display of empty quoted lines

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 13:42:10 CEST 2018

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 12:18:14 +0100
Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

> I think the problem stems from 'format=flowed' and I think both the
> originating mailer and claws have bugs.

Yes, it is to do with 'format-flowed'.

> My source of information was <https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt>.
>
> The originating mailer sent a mail with a change in quoting depth
> on a flowed line, which it is not supposed to do. (i.e. greater
> space newline more text - it should have been: greater newline more
> text). So I think it's buggy.
>
> Claws, in deciding how to display such a broken email, is supposed
> to give priority to the change in quoting level: 'a receiving agent
> SHOULD handle it using quote-depth wins'. So it should display it
> as I expected, not how it does. So I think claws is also buggy.

I've also been perusing that RFC, and I too wondered about which side
is wrong. But, for me, this morning is not the ideal time to try to
decipher an RFC.

> Are there any configuration options that would let me improve how
> claws deals with this?

Setting the hidden pref 'respect_flowed_format' to 0 (the default)
helps with your msg, although that doesn't seem right either.

I toyed with a patch:
http://thewildbeast.co.uk/claws_patches/possible_fix_for_format_flowed.patch
But I'm not convinced that this is correct either right now.

with regards

Paul