[Users] error in display of empty quoted lines

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sun Apr 8 13:18:14 CEST 2018

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 21:04:25 +0100
Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 18:14:10 +0300
> Shai Berger <shai at platonix.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 12:31:34 +0100
> > Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

> > When you say "newline" -- is that CR, LF, CRLF, or something else?
> > Maybe that's the difference between the mails?
>
> Sorry, it's a newline \n 0x0A.
>
> I suspect the difference may be something more like

> in the original message versus

OK. I think I understand what is going on. But since I've gone from
zero knowledge to 'understanding' by reading a single document, I may
well be mistaken, so be gentle :)

I think the problem stems from 'format=flowed' and I think both the
originating mailer and claws have bugs.

My source of information was <https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt>.

The originating mailer sent a mail with a change in quoting depth on a
flowed line, which it is not supposed to do. (i.e. greater space
newline more text - it should have been: greater newline more text). So
I think it's buggy.

Claws, in deciding how to display such a broken email, is supposed to
give priority to the change in quoting level: 'a receiving agent SHOULD
handle it using quote-depth wins'. So it should display it as I
expected, not how it does. So I think claws is also buggy.

Are there any configuration options that would let me improve how claws
deals with this?

Or have I misunderstood?