[Users] error in display of empty quoted lines

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sun Apr 8 18:19:32 CEST 2018

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 12:42:10 +0100
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 12:18:14 +0100
> Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I think the problem stems from 'format=flowed' and I think both the
> > originating mailer and claws have bugs.
>
> Yes, it is to do with 'format-flowed'.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> > My source of information was <https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt>.

I've now discovered I wasted my time to some extent and I should have
been reading <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676>

I'll get around to that later, not right now.

> > The originating mailer sent a mail with a change in quoting depth
> > on a flowed line, which it is not supposed to do. (i.e. greater
> > space newline more text - it should have been: greater newline more
> > text). So I think it's buggy.
> >
> > Claws, in deciding how to display such a broken email, is supposed
> > to give priority to the change in quoting level: 'a receiving agent
> > SHOULD handle it using quote-depth wins'. So it should display it
> > as I expected, not how it does. So I think claws is also buggy.
>
> I've also been perusing that RFC, and I too wondered about which side
> is wrong. But, for me, this morning is not the ideal time to try to
> decipher an RFC.

I don't blame you :)

> > Are there any configuration options that would let me improve how
> > claws deals with this?
>
> Setting the hidden pref 'respect_flowed_format' to 0 (the default)
> helps with your msg, although that doesn't seem right either.

Thanks for that. I vaguely remember setting it to 1 because of broken
URLs so I'm not sure which is better. There was another message, also
produced by Thunderbird with format=flowed, that claws renders
inelegantly:

Original:

On 08/04/18 xxxx wrote:
> some quoted text.
>
> a two line quoted
> paragraph.
>
> another quoted
> two line paragraph.
>
> and some more quoted text

(note spaces at the end of the '> ' lines but not at the end of those
with text. So quite seriously broken.)

As rendered by claws:

On 08/04/18 xxxx wrote:
> some quoted text.
> > a two line quoted
> paragraph.
> > another quoted
> two line paragraph.
> > and some more quoted text

Not ideal :(

> I toyed with a patch:
> http://thewildbeast.co.uk/claws_patches/possible_fix_for_format_flowed.patch
> But I'm not convinced that this is correct either right now.

I'm not sure either. I'll have another look after I've read the correct
spec.

> with regards
>
> Paul

Cheers, Dave