[Users] Notification icon missing

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 5 17:08:32 CEST 2018

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 14:21:00 +0200 wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

Thanks for replying. wwp.

> Presuming that you "notification icon" is related to the notification
> plug-in..

Yes. The notification plugin normally puts an icon is the System Tray
which alters when there are unread messages.

> Start `claws-mail --debug` from a terminal. What's the error in GUI
> when you attempt to load the plugin? Anything caught in terminal at
> that moment?

I ran this from a terminal, unloaded the plugin then got this when I
loaded it again:

notification_core.c:332:Notification Plugin: Hash table created
notification_hotkeys.c:105:Notification plugin: Updating keybindings..
notification_hotkeys.c:115:Notification plugin: Unbinding all
keybindings.. notification_hotkeys.c:105:Notification plugin: Updating
keybindings.. notification_hotkeys.c:115:Notification plugin: Unbinding
all keybindings.. notification_plugin.c:357:Notification plugin loaded
plugin.c:525:Plugin Notification (from
file /usr/lib64/claws-mail/plugins/notification.so) loaded
plugin.c:526:TIMING
plugin_load /usr/lib64/claws-mail/plugins/notification.so: 0s044ms

This seems to have worked. Given that the notification icon was
appearing until it didn't I doubt that it's an installation issue.

> How do you install Claws Mail exactly? Why did you restart it, BTW?

I installed Claws-Mail many moons ago from a SuSE repository. I
restarted it because I rebooted my PC!

> `ldd $PREFIX/lib/claws-mail/plugins/notification.so` could also tell
> us if a binary dependency is not satisfied anymore. $PREFIX depends
> on how you install Claws Mail.

How do I find where Yast has installed Claws-Mail? I used to know how
to do this sort of thing, but these days I just run things and get on
with my life. I use Linux so that I can look under the hood if things
go wrong, but nowadays they so seldom do,

--
 All the best,
 John