[Users] Notification icon missing

wwp subscript at free.fr
Thu Apr 5 17:28:57 CEST 2018

Hello John,

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 16:08:32 +0100 John G Walker <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 14:21:00 +0200 wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

[snip]
> I ran this from a terminal, unloaded the plugin then got this when I
> loaded it again:
>
> notification_core.c:332:Notification Plugin: Hash table created
> notification_hotkeys.c:105:Notification plugin: Updating keybindings..
> notification_hotkeys.c:115:Notification plugin: Unbinding all
> keybindings.. notification_hotkeys.c:105:Notification plugin: Updating
> keybindings.. notification_hotkeys.c:115:Notification plugin:
> Unbinding all keybindings.. notification_plugin.c:357:Notification
> plugin loaded plugin.c:525:Plugin Notification (from
> file /usr/lib64/claws-mail/plugins/notification.so) loaded
> plugin.c:526:TIMING
> plugin_load /usr/lib64/claws-mail/plugins/notification.so: 0s044ms
>
> This seems to have worked. Given that the notification icon was
> appearing until it didn't I doubt that it's an installation issue.

The question is, how can it "disappear"? That might be a defect in the
plug-in code, but we'll need more information to understand
when/why/how it ceases functioning.
Could you tell us what notification features are enabled (preferences >
plugins > notification)? Would be nice to identify the context when it
stops, too. Last resort if we can't reproduce will be to run claws-mail
from gdb or valgrind.

[snip]
> > `ldd $PREFIX/lib/claws-mail/plugins/notification.so` could also tell
> > us if a binary dependency is not satisfied anymore. $PREFIX depends
> > on how you install Claws Mail.
>
> How do I find where Yast has installed Claws-Mail? I used to know how
> to do this sort of thing, but these days I just run things and get on
> with my life. I use Linux so that I can look under the hood if things
> go wrong, but nowadays they so seldom do,

It's /usr, the log excerpts you included in your previous email talks
about /usr/lib64/claws-mail/plugins/notification.so.
But IMO we don't care about `ldd` anymore now that we know that the
plug-in loads w/o error.

Regards,

--
wwp