[Users] Please revert "make Go to/[Next|Prev] sort order aware"

Olivier Brunel jjk at jjacky.com
Mon Mar 27 13:15:28 CEST 2017

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:47:53 +0200
Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:05:15 +0200
> Olivier Brunel <jjk at jjacky.com> wrote:
>
> > Besides, this also seem to imply an assumption that sort order is
> > date-based. What is I sort by size? color label? or whether
> > messages have attachments or not? Or does that refer to which
> > item/message is "last"? What if the list isn't sorted at all?
>
> I'm not going to touch rest of your e-mail, because it's just a bunch
> of opinions presented as facts, but this one is blatantly incorrect.

I don't think it is opinions presented as facts: Sorting a list, even
descendingly, when programming, will have the first item be the e.g.
newer one, and the next item is older. That is a fact, isn't it? I
don't believe that the first item of a list is the one on top isn't an
opinion either...

Maybe things came up wrong/too "strong", apologies for that.

> The code in this case cares about whether the current sort order is
> ascending or descending, it doesn't care about which column is used
> for sorting.

Right, and I wasn't saying it always use date, but that it seems to
assume a date-based order; as in, that's when it might make sense.

But it still refers to the list sort order, so going up or down
obviously refers to the sorted list, hence the column used to sort
actually matters/ends up being used, even if not in the code at that
place specifically.

And, why should the sort direction (asc/desc) when sorting by size,
attachments, or whatever, impact which message is considered first and
which is last?

When sorting by date: because by "next" you want to force going to a
newer one, regardless of direction.
But when sorting by anything else, it doesn't mean the same/much. Why
is the next message a bigger one in one case, a smaller one in the
other? Why don't you trust the user to know what he wants, and follow
what he asked via setting sort order/direction as wished?

Why does "next" mean going up the list because I sort by size
descendingly? Why is it going down if ascendingly? Seems to me you're
messing/mixing things: sort order of the list, and predefined order of
messages (by date).