[Users] Reporting bugs (was: Re: not showing html email)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jun 17 17:05:40 CEST 2017

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 13:07:52 +0200, Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org>
wrote:
> Hi Johan,
>
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 07:30:28PM +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:

> > * confirm the link in the mail
> > * fire up the password manager to create a new password
> > * enter it twice on the bz page
> > * save
> >
> > Now I finally can start entering the issue information.
> >
> > Note that I'm not complaining about this procedure, but I am not
> > surprised that some users will not complete all the hoops, shake
> > heads, and walk on.
>
> Well, yes everything requires some effort. Unfortunately effort is
> very low valued nowadays... now try to count the hoops required to
> understand and fix a bug report ;-)
>
> Very funny to read though, thanks for your mail!

It's not funny at all, and I'm of the opinion that the responses Johan
received show an underlying problem with the Claws culture. Seriously,
when Johan first reported the bug on the mailing list, the proper
response would have been "thanks for telling us." Instead, he was
greeted with "fill out a bugzilla report" in the same tone of voice
that people say "RTFM" to the guy who asks "how do I start the program."

And Johan forgot the Big Kahuna of Bugzilla hoops: The fact that less
people are privy to the discussion. In a full email list discussion,
problems are usually solved (or workarounds found) in hours. The pace
of most Bugzilla transactions is considerably slower. (Disclaimer: I've
never participated in Claws' Bugzilla).

A nicer culture would have discussed Johan's problem, and refined his
symptom description to the point where either a Bugzilla could be made,
or his missteps could have been pointed out: Often in less words than
the very first (fill out a bugzilla) response to him. Then, with a
little cooperation coming his way, instead of just "fillthebugzilla",
the hoops would have been completely justified, especially if every
reference to bugzilla went thru a tiny document explaining exactly how
to do it. And please don't forget I offered to write that tiny document.

Personally, I've never submitted a Claws Bugzilla in my life. When I
encounter a problem, half the time I find a solution or workaround, and
then write the symptom and solution on the Claws mailing list. At that
point, I've done my job: The information has been given, and users
have been warned of the landmine. If somebody else wants to copy my
email to a more permanent place, they're more than welcome. On
occasions when I haven't solved it, I ask the mailing list. Often,
after the usual suspects give me unhelpful criticism, others offer
incisive suggestions or questions that unblock the road to solution.
And in those few cases where neither I nor the list can solve, I can
always uberkludge the thing: As can anybody who knows C and Python. And
when I uberkludge, I let the list know, on the theory that somebody
else has or will have the same issue and can uberkludge their system
the same way.

Geez guys, the next time somebody asks a question or warns of a
malfunction, unless his symptom description is incredibly lame, instead
of saying MakeTheBugzilla, please say "thanks for the tip: I have a few
questions."

SteveT