[Users] Red "S" in message Status field

Liz edodd55 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 02:09:02 CEST 2016

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 19:27:25 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I've
> seen simple reproducible problems go on for a week because somebody
> prematurely ruled out a section of the root cause scope. And although
> your experience might differ from mine, I and a huge majority of
> Troubleshooters I talk to have found that a significant proportion of
> user symptom descriptions are either ambiguous, unclear, or just plain
> wrong. To assume they're right is to risk turning an easy problem into
> a difficult one.

Not wishing to drag this out, any further OT, however....

I am responsible for teaching young people in my profession
(deliberately not named). I would like to support Steve L's statements.
Problem solving doesn't happen when you don't get the initial details
correct. We deliberately teach checking your own understanding of the
problem by stating your understanding of the problem to the
complainant, and ensuring you have got the details correct.

Liz
with professional degrees, and an education qualification.