[Users] Deleting one long thread

Slavko linux at slavino.sk
Wed Sep 30 16:07:50 CEST 2015

Ahoj,

Dňa Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:38:46 -0400 Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com>
napísal:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 14:14:51 +0200 Francis Moreau wrote:
>
> >imagine your summary window has a lot of different
> >threads. You want to delete the old ones, let say 10 of them. Isn't
> >more convenient to colapse all threads, then select the ones you want
> >to supprim then press SUPPR and you're done ?
>
> ...and many newcomers to CM start complaining that hitting ONE key
> deleted MANY IMPORTANT emails.  NOT what THEY were expecting...  How
> would you propose the current devs handle those complaints?

Another point of view:

When i switch to 64bit Windows7 (in job), the CM was not working, then
i switch to Thunderbird on this machine and i was very surprised (after
years of using CM only), that when i hit the DEL key on collapsed
thread, whole thread is deleted -- because i was expecting, that only
the first message will be deleted. But i do not take idea to ask the
Thunderbird's developers to change this behavior, but i accepted it as
the Thunderbird's feature.

In other words, i cannot expect that the two (or more) different
software need to have the same behavior. If yes, why then to have
more apps for the same purpose?

Yes, i see this often in the Windows world - many people expect the same
behavior in different applications, most of them ask to have the same
usage, the same shortcuts, the same appearance, etc. IMO, they never
understand (automatically) that there is not one best solution, but
anybody need to find own one. Windows people are often not able change
their point of view (and expectations), when they switch to Linux and
they want to have Windows, but for free. I am happy, that the Linux is
not as Windows, and i can use my own workflow (here shortcuts) and not
to use the "best" one (my definition of the best is often different
from others).

(in previous text, the "Windows user" not necessary need to use the
Windows OS) ;-)

regards

--
Slavko