[Users] Duplicate messages and crashes

gabble gabble at gmx.com
Tue Nov 3 04:25:14 CET 2015

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 22:21:36 +0100
gabble <gabble at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 17:24:41 +0100
> gabble <gabble at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrej,
> >
> > On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 09:34:53 +0100
> > Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk> wrote:

> > > Hello Charlotte,
> > >
> > > first of all, by deleting the cache file, you can't make anything
> > > worse - at worst, first next opening of a given folder will be a
> > > bit slower.
> >
> > Thanks for that information.
> >

> > > I suggest first upgrading Claws Mail to 3.13.0 to see if it helps.
> > > Note that 3.13.0 might not even work on Windows XP, see the IPv6
> > > point at
> > > http://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2015-October/014363.html
> >
> > Sounds a little risky then...
> >
> > > It would help if you could isolate a particular message that gets
> > > duplicated, ideally a message that is not sensitive, so you can
> > > share it at least with me. Although I do not have access to a
> > > computer with Windows XP, I could try reproducing your issue over
> > > here and to figure out what's wrong.
> >
> > Thing is, after I sent my cry for help to the list it stopped
> > happening. But I'm sure it will happen again. I'll enable the
> > account I disabled for a start and see if Claws can handle those
> > emails now.
> >
> > Soon as it happens again I'll send you one of the problematic
> > emails. Is it the physical file you want and can I attach it to an
> > email to the this list or should I send it to you privately?
> >

> > > Is there any common trait to the messages that get duplicated?
> > > E.g. same sender, special characters in some header, attachment,
> > > etc.
> >
> > No, I can't see any common denominator. At first I thought there was
> > one, it  began with posts on the WebAIM mailing list, then it
> > started to happen to other emails but to the same email account,
> > but as said, it didn't stop there. It's been text and HTML mail,
> > from mailing lists, from people I know, forum notification,
> > advertising mail from different companies (not spam).
> >
> > Thank you for your help so far. I'll post as soon as it happens
> > again. It was stupid of me to empty the trash, but I didn't expect
> > it to stop all of a sudden!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Charlotte
>

> update. it was better a while. i kept the duplicates, moved them to
> their own folder, and claws behaved. now it has started again. i have
> duplicates all over and claws crashes on almost every fetch.
>
> could the fact that i keep posts on the server a while have something
> to do with it? i'll change the account settings so they are deleted
> at once and see if that helps.
>
> i've sent a couple if samples to andrej offlist but it really seems
> to happen to just any post.
>
> sorry for the lack of caps. i tripped and broke my arm and am typing
> with one hand.

OK, changed all accounts to delete mail on the sever immediately when downloaded. mess stopped. so i guess the problem is that claws doesn't keep track of already downloaded posts properly.

is this a known bug? can something be done about it? i can live with things as they are if i must, but i'd rather keep copies on the server for a while, for some account forever.

Cheers,
Charlotte