[Users] error: authentication failed

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Sat Jan 10 23:47:33 CET 2015

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 14:52:50 -0500 Helmut J Hings wrote:

>After downloading, installing and setting up an account as instructed
>the error message “authentication failed” pops up and I do not have a
>clue what I missed or how to correct the fault. It seems that the
>receiving mail function is affected as sent mail is received correctly
>by a second pc. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you  Helmut JH

This answer is for POP3; I don't use IMAP...  and videotron.ca doesn't
seem to provide it anyway.  Heck, they seem to be using antiquated
software: Oracle Communications Messaging Exchange Server 7u4-22.01 64bit
(built Apr 21 2011) which would worry the crap outta me...

Go to Configuration->Edit Accounts, select the account if necessary and
click Edit.

Under Account->Basic is where you set up the servers and receive userid
and password.  If you have a userid/password set (not blank) under the
Send tab, double-check the Receive userid/password.  If the Send
userid/password is blank, then you know the userid/password in Basic is
correct since you can send.

Based on your provider at
http://support.videotron.com/residential/internet/installation/server-address
looks like a pretty basic, old and likely insecure email service (using
ports 25(587 Auth) & 110)...

On the Advanced panel, set SMTP port to 587 and POP3 port to 110.

Then move on to the SSL panel and try "Don't use SSL" since your
provider probably doesn't use secure comms either...  their webpage states
"587 authenticated"; but that does not imply SSL/STARTTLS.

You may want to consider another email provider...  unless their help
pages are out of date...

HTH,
Pierre