[Users] Search for a From pattern AND a Subject pattern

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Mon Sep 22 06:31:48 CEST 2014

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 20:44:49 -0700,
Thomas Taylor <linxt at comcast.net> wrote:

Ian> I am trying to do a _normal search_ (not a "Quick search") for
Ian> messages containing a certain string in the From header _and_
Ian> another pattern in the Subject header.  I don't get the behavior I
Ian> want, even though I made doubly sure I switched the drop-down
Ian> selector to "Match all of the following".  Instead, all messages
Ian> matching _either_ criterion are selected.

Ian> I can see a possible reason: in all cases, the selected messages
Ian> are in a _thread_ started by a message matching both criteria.  Is
Ian> that how it's supposed to work, ie. does the header matching logic
Ian> always consider the thread root?  Or is this a bug?

Thomas> If you are talking about messages in a mail list they will all
Thomas> have the same "from" and all messages in a thread will have the
Thomas> same "subject" (normally-unless someone has explicitly changed
Thomas> the subject.  Consequently all messages within that thread that
Thomas> meet the subject title will be displayed.  Therefore what you
Thomas> have seen is the expected action.

No, I know quite well what I am talking about.  Subject and From
are different, although the pattern occurs in both Subjects.  But From
is altogether different.