[Users] Search for a From pattern AND a Subject pattern

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Sep 22 05:44:49 CEST 2014

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 19:55:00 -0700
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> I am trying to do a _normal search_ (not a "Quick search") for messages
> containing a certain string in the From header _and_ another pattern in
> the Subject header.  I don't get the behavior I want, even though I made
> doubly sure I switched the drop-down selector to "Match all of the
> following".  Instead, all messages matching _either_ criterion are
> selected.
>
> I can see a possible reason: in all cases, the selected messages are in
> a _thread_ started by a message matching both criteria.  Is that how
> it's supposed to work, ie. does the header matching logic always
> consider the thread root?  Or is this a bug?
>
> I can provide sample on pastebin if desired.  Claws 3.10.1, Gtk 2.24.10.

If you are talking about messages in a mail list they will all have the same
"from" and all messages in a thread will have the same
"subject" (normally-unless someone has explicitly changed the subject.
Consequently all messages within that thread that meet the subject title will
be displayed.  Therefore what you have seen is the expected action.

Tom

--
Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them
in an unstoppable manner.

^^^^
Tom Taylor  KG7CFC
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 3.11.6-4-default,
KDE 4.11.2, AMD Phenom X4 955, GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Nvidia 337.19)
16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
FF 27.0, claws-mail 3.10.0
registered linux user 263467