[Users] "Put deleted messages in . . . " ignored

jdebert jdebert at garlic.com
Mon Nov 10 20:48:18 CET 2014

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 11:32:11 +0000
Graham P Davis <newsboy at scarlet-jade.com> wrote:

> Instead of dumping all my deleted messages in the same waste-bin, I
> decided to configure my accounts to use their own trash-cans. To
> verify that it worked, I set up a new trash folder and edited an
> account to "put deleted messages in . . ." the new folder.
> Unfortunately, I verified that it didn't work. Deleted messages still
> went in the general trash and my new folder remained disappointingly
> empty.
>
> Is there something I've missed in setting this up or does it just not
> work?

How about not marking messages as deleted? This will probably work more
or less equally well with most if not all MUA's. Many MUA's do assume
that if you mark a message as deleted you want nothing more to do with
it.

Might also avoid marking as spam, as some MUA's assume that you want
such messages to be treated as they had been deleted.

jd