[Users] Why does my claws always start offline?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jun 30 16:25:56 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I just transitioned to a new Debian 7.5, 64 bit machine, and installed
Claws from the package manager as usual.

slitt at mydesq2:~$ claws-mail --version-full
Claws Mail version 3.8.1
runtime GTK+ 2.24.10 / GLib 2.32.4
buildtime GTK+ 2.24.10 / GLib 2.32.4
Compiled-in features:
 compface
 aspell
 gnutls
 ipv6
 iconv
 jpilot
 ldap
 libetpan 1.0
 libsm
 NetworkManager
slitt at mydesq2:~$ uname -a
Linux mydesq2 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
slitt at mydesq2:~$

Now, when Claws starts, it starts in offline mode. I've had some
instances where eth0 and lo had to be re ifuped and ifdowned, but this
happens even if the network's fine: If I just close Claws and then open
it again. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen when I first installed Claws
on this machine: I think this just started happening a day or two ago,
not a week ago when I first fired up the machine.

I looked in the account config and the Claws preferences, and saw
no setting for whether you want it to come up on or offline on running,
but it's entirely possible I missed it.

So now, I don't even know what questions to ask in order to narrow the
root cause scope, and am open to all suggestions and theories except
installing a later version (unless this is a known issue of 3.8.1).

Thanks,

SteveT