[Users] On which Linux distro is Claws Mail best supported?

J.D. Ackle jdalinux at yahoo.com.br
Wed Oct 9 02:45:36 CEST 2013

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 18:20:38 +0100
Sharon Kimble <boudiccas at talktalk.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 00:26:52 +0100
> "J.D. Ackle" <jdalinux at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 22:03:48 +0200
> > vitsen at gmx.com wrote:
> >
> > > I am a bit worried, as I have read on some posts that there are
> > > significant bugs in Debian (if I remember correctly). So, does this
> > > mean that such bugs are also present on Ubuntu, which is based on
> > > Debian? Should I avoid all Debian/Ubuntu-based distros?
> >
> > As nobody else actually adressed this, I will have to frankly say
> > that there is a lot of bugs in Debian is a really odd one! Then
> > again, it would depend on which specific Debian flavour you are
> > running. Here are the three Debian flavours you can run:
> >
> > Debian Stable: You can safelly say Debian stable has less bugs in it
> > than about 99% (or more!) of the other distros in the planet. It is
> > actually a sort of common knowledge that Debian Stable is THE most
> > stable GNU/Linux distribution out there. It is also often considered
> > outdated - that's because very thorough testing is required on the
> > software included in Debian Testing, and that takes time... So you'll
> > likely not have "the latest and greatest" in Stable. If I'm not
> > mistaken, CentOS (an enterprise Linux distro) is based on this Debian
> > release.
>
> Sorry, but you're wrong. CentOS is based on 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux'
> and using their source rpm's. I used to run CentOS for about three
> years, and its good and stable but not ideal for desktops.
No need to apologize for correcting me. I however do apologize for my misleaded claim (I honestly don't remember where I got that idea from). Anyway, stating that CentOS was an enterprise Linux distro was meant to say an equivalente to "very stable", which actually, isn't necessantly so, is it? So my apologies for that one too.

> > Debian Testing: This is the release that will become the next Debian
> > Stable. It takes two years for a Testing release to become the next
> > Stable (hence the Stable/Testing cycle is six months longer than
> > Ubuntu's LTS (Long Term Support) releases, the most stable Ubuntu
> > releases). There is also a several months "freeze" (I don't remember
> > how many) at the end of a Testing release where no software is added
> > nor upgraded - it's only for bugfixing - the result will be a really
> > stable, as bug-free as possible upcoming Stable release. Again, if
> > not mistaken, this is the release Ubuntu and its derivatives is based
> > on.
>
> I used to run Debian testing in its build-up phase before it was
> released as 'stable'. I'm currently running stable again, but may well
> upgrade to testing again at some time in the future. I currently track
> several packages that I like with git, so I'm running some cutting-edge
> programmes, fool that I am! :)
I'm guessing those packages are not core system libraries... Anyway, we're not judging you nor the choices you make for the operating system(s) you run, we're advising someone else in terms of what to expect from Linux distros out there, in terms of stability, mainly for running Claws Mail. Or at least so I think.
Warning people about that a particular distributions or one of its releases are not designed for everyday "production" use seems reasonable to me - that doesn't mean I'm judging those who opt otherwise for themselves.