[Users] line wrapping when prepending

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Wed Mar 27 13:58:48 CET 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:38:33 +0100 Neels Hofmeyr wrote:

>An algorithm that always automatically rewraps the entire paragraph
>being edited could address both kludges. In fact, it should suffice to
>always re-wrap starting one line above the current cursor position.

OMG!!!!!!!!!   Let's be REALLY CAREFUL about getting back into the "wrap"
code...

Those of us who've used CM (and SC) for a LONG time have suffered through
line wrap bugs which I'm sure drove the developers nuts trying to solve.
The worst period was Feb/08-Nov/09 IIRC.  Line wrapping issues had been
bugging (sic) us since at least 2002 in sylpheed-claws.  The worst ones
would very randomly start wrapping
at
every
word;
and
it
took
nearly
two
years
find
the
trigger(s)...

[above was faked; sorry for freaking out the developers :) ]

IIRC, what Neels brings up is the very area of the code that caused all
that old pain...

Just for nostalgia, from my list archive, here's a prophetic message from
Colin in 2002(!!) on the subject of "re-wrapping short lines"... THANKS
again Colin, Paul, et al for your efforts at squashing all those bugs!
I'll back you if you don't want to touch that part of the [fragile]
code...  :)

Pierre