[Users] line wrapping when prepending

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Mar 28 18:07:13 CET 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:38:33 +0100
Neels Hofmeyr <neels at hofmeyr.de> wrote:

> Hi users@,
>
> it took me a bit to get used to Claws' line wrapping, which often
> involves moving back a word, removing a space and re-adding it to
> trigger a line wrap. IMHO that's not ideal, but acceptable.
>
> But there's still two kludges that I'd like to address:
>

> 1) When I go back before a (usually longish) word and insert new text,
> the newly typed word in combination with the following word together
> often wraps to the next line, even though the space, which I'm about
> to type one second later, would have allowed the just typed word to
> have stayed on the previous line. Example:
>
> - Have the line:
>
> Dolor ipsum flupsum et flotsam repetititerepetititerepetition.
>
> - Place cursor just before the 'r' of the last word:
>
> Dolor ipsum flupsum et flotsam |repetititerepetititerepetition.
>
> - Type a few short words:
>
> Dolor ipsum flupsum et flotsam oddsam
> tripsome repetititerepetititerepetition.
>
> The word "tripsome" would have easily fitted on the top line. Only the
> long word should have wrapped. Algorithmically, Claws should probably
> first act as it does now, wrapping both words to the next line, for
> the case that no space will follow. But as soon as the space is
> added, the short word should wrap back to the previous line, if it
> fits there.

Why not simply place the cursor right after the m in flotsam and type
your tripsome. That will do exactly what you want.

[clip]

> 2) Claws does not line-wrap at dashes. I have to insert a space
> manually if a dash is involved. For example, the line:
>
> Dolor ipsum flupsum et flotsam oddsam tripsum
> Repeti-Iteper-Repeti-Itsum.
>
> should IMHO wrap as
>
> Dolor ipsum flupsum et flotsam oddsam tripsum Repeti-Iteper-Repeti-
> Itsum.

Maybe yes and maybe no. If the dash is meant to be a hyphen, wrapping
would be nice. But if it's glue (for instance, a shellscript variable,
it shouldn't wrap.

In my opinion Claws' current word wrapping is one of its best
strengths. I *hugely* appreciate that Claws enables me to make a line
"too long" if that's what I want, or "too short" if that's what I want.
The riff of deleting and reinserting a space is hardly any work at all.

SteveT