[Users] How to check if Bogofilter is still working?

Brad Rogers brad at fineby.me.uk
Thu May 30 14:57:47 UTC 2024

On Thu, 30 May 2024 09:35:25 -0400
Gil Weber <gilweber at bellsouth.net> wrote:

Hello Gil,

>My first question is how do I know if Bogofilter is installed
>"locally?" If I open System Monitor and then click the "processes" tab I
>can see Bogofilter. Does this mean it is installed "locally?"

In this context, 'locally' merely means on "on this machine".

>If it is already installed locally then for more than a year I have
>highlighted every e-mail message selecting either "Learn as Ham" or
>"Learn as Spam." I do not see anywhere to mark as either "/Mark/Mark
>as spam" and "/Mark/Mark as ham".

Yes, CM is labelled "Learn as...", in the toolbar, "Mark as...." in the
message list context menu.

>Am I missing something absurdly simple to get Bogofilter to filter?

As Paul said, bogofilter has changed backends from Berkeley db, to
SQLite.  Whether your OS has yet updated, IDK.  Here, the change appears
to have been handled silently.  It's a change I was unaware of, that's
for sure.  As such, I strongly suspect there are others here far better
qualified than me in getting bogofilter working correctly.

That said;  What file(s) have you got in ~/.bogofilter?  AIUI, if your
system is using wordlist.db, then you're already using the SQLite
backend and should be 'good to go'.  Otherwise, you may have to migrate
the old database to SQLite.

At a command prompt, look for command like;
bogomigrate-berkeley
It's a script that'll walk you through the migration process.  On my
system (Debian) the script appears to be named bogoupgrade.

--
 Regards  _       "Valid sig separator is {dash}{dash}{space}"
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"