[Users] Setting up Claws-Mail for Yahoo and Gmail

James Freer jrjfreer at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 14 09:41:51 UTC 2024

Hi Dustin

On 14/05/2024 06:31, Dustin Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2024 05:39:23 +0100
> James Freer via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to set up Claws-Mail for Yahoo and Gmail and it does not
>> seem to download messages.
>>
>> My imap and smtp settings are correct. My guess is the authentication
>> is not set correct and i would be grateful for help. ...
>>
> DM: Hi, James. Have you looked at the FAQ on the Claws Mail website? It
> has a section on Gmail, and the Oauth2 section also has a part related
> to Gmail if you're wanting to use that authentication method. Some info
> may not be up-to-date because of changes in Gmail and/or Claws Mail,
> but looking at the FAQ would be your next best step for setting up
> Gmail (assuming from what you've written that you haven't already done
> that). Also, the FAQ is a wiki, so you can feel free to update it if
> your experience shows the need for that.
>
> DM: I 'think' I've heard of some people using Claws Mail with Yahoo,
> but I haven't done so myself, so am not sure on the details of the
> setup. If it's possible, I'm assuming it could very well be a
> combination of webmail settings and Claws Mail settings that is needed.
> Perhaps a Yahoo user will chime in with more details. Hope that helps,
> ---Dustin
>>
>> A google showed several posts that claimed Claws does not work with
>> Yahoo on imap but does on pop. Didn't find anything regarding Gmail
>> so don't believe that. Hence my post for advice. ...

Thanks for the reply. I've looked through those but i think the problem
must be in the authentication and i don't understand how to set it in
Claws. In Evolution and Thunderbird before one can download messages it
takes one to the web login window for email provider - one logs in there
first time and then all is set. That doesn't seem to be the case with Claws.

james