[Users] systray icons on Mageia linux Wayland

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Wed Mar 13 08:47:15 UTC 2024

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 00:11:17 +0000
"David Fletcher" <David at megapico.co.uk> wrote:

> The origin of the issues I was looking at was that the way system type
> (X11, Mac, Wayland) was being detected was poor and this was leading to
> errors which only became apparent in Wayland. For example, the
> environment variable GDK_WINDOWING_X11 was being used to test whether
> Claws is running on a Unix type system. But such tests fail if the GTK
> backend is changed to Wayland. Similarly, it wasn't handling running on
> Mac properly either.

I think the problem here is that the SysTray Notification module is using
GtkStatusIcon, which is deprecated and under wayland simply does not work.

Wayland devs seem to save themselves some effort by, rather than supporting
deprecated things, simply ignoring them.

I'll stick with X11, for me it works better than wayland.

with regards

Paul