[Users] systray icons on Mageia linux Wayland

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 00:11:17 UTC 2024

>>Maybe switching from X11 to Wayland changed some settings in your env (or
>>you did a full re-install and need to do some re-configuration) ?
>
>The only thing I did was ensure Wayland was installed, rebooted rather
>than risk some X11 stuff hanging around and logged in via Wayland
>instead of X11; nothing else. CM displays icon on X11, not on Wayland.
>
>None of the search results for:
>    kde wayland systray missing app icon
>have given up a working solution yet.

Paul, Pierre,

I think there's some discussion from last Oct/Nov that could be relevant
to what you're seeing. E.g. here:
https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2023-November/032371.html

The origin of the issues I was looking at was that the way system type
(X11, Mac, Wayland) was being detected was poor and this was leading to
errors which only became apparent in Wayland. For example, the
environment variable GDK_WINDOWING_X11 was being used to test whether
Claws is running on a Unix type system. But such tests fail if the GTK
backend is changed to Wayland. Similarly, it wasn't handling running on
Mac properly either.

I helped write a patch which was integrated, but maybe these systray
icons didn't get fixed in that patching effort. From memory we focused
on the core program not the plugins. The notification plugin source code
is full of X11 stuff which might well not translate to the Wayland GTK
backend.

There may be some clues within the posts in the Oct/Nov period - I
vaguely remember thinking (any may have written in a post) that the core
issues were easily fixed but the Notification plugin which includes the
systray part needed more work. The real issue for me at the time was
getting Claws to work on a recent Apple Silicon (Arm based) Mac so that
was my focus.

Maybe there's a work-around using the X11 GTK backend via Xwayland, but
I don't know how you'd force GTK to do that, what the performance hit
would be, or whether it would make systray icons work. It's not the
real solution.

Best regards, David.