[Users] Settings for message colors

Joe joe at jretrading.com
Fri Jun 28 15:34:16 UTC 2024

On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 19:50:10 +0600
Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 13:33:01 -0000
> claws at sritch.com wrote:
>
> > CM 4.3.0 on opensuse leap 15.6
> >
> > I use the Nordic (grey) themes.
> >
> > In the message, the quoted portions are dark blue on my grey
> > background, it's difficult to read. I wanted to change the colors,
> > went to clawsker > colours but I don't see a setting for it.
> >
> > Where do I set it to change it to a lighter blue?
> >
> DM: This has been asked on this list before, so if you figure out a
> good way to search the message archives, I'm guessing you can find the
> answer in one or more messages / threads. (Or maybe you'll get lucky,
> and another person on this list will [re-] post the solution for you.
> 🙂️) I'm pretty sure it's not available as a Claws setting since it's
> likely controlled by GTK. From my memory, I think people have resolved
> this type of thing by either using a different theme or by tweaking
> the CSS settings for the theme they use or for all GTK, although some
> CSS tweaks may be able to be made only for Claws. HTH, ---Dustin

I don't think so, I remember a solution to one of my problems, that
highlighted emails in the list are black on dark blue, which is
unreadable. It was necessary to highlight a different message to see
details of the originally highlighted one. It was indeed a GTK issue.

The answer is in the CSS configuration file, ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

Create it if it doesn't exist, it didn't on my system. Contents (or add
to existing contents):

/* User selections: Marked labels and (but not Claws:) text
highlighting */ *:selected {
	background-color: #c8dbf4;
	}

The colour here is a lighter blue, restoring legibility. It will, of
course, affect other GTK3 software. The 'but not Claws' comment from the
original solution is not correct, at least as far as the message list
goes.

--
Joe